By extension, it should be understood that this Method is founded on a certain number of presuppositions concerning the way in which the human being develops, processes information, communicates with him or herself and others, and finally how he or she learns; among these presuppositions, the following should be remembered:
- The quality of listening, which depends on the synergy between the certainty in spatio-temporal awareness assured by the vestibular system and correct acoustic analysis assured by the cochlear system, is directly linked to human development and behaviour.
- The human ear has the ability to transmit the information coming from the gravitational sphere and the acoustic environment to the brain, by subdividing it, as well as sending charges to the cortex.
- Better listening and better attention in relation to verbal language are preconditions required for other developmental functions, such as cognition, communication, socialisation and adaptive development.
- An improvement of listening and the organisation of communicative responses lessens frustration, anger and other maladjusted behaviour.
- Better listening and better attention in relation to verbal language are directly related to the ability to fully participate in family, collective and educational activities.
- The TOMATIS Method is efficient in stimulating the development of listening and the communication functions which stem from it, whatever age a person is. The ear transmits a constant stream of audio-vestibular signals which stimulate the brain, and this continues all through life.
- In the case of late development in a child, it is always preferable to intervene as early as possible, in order to prevent the gap separating normal performance from deficient performance from growing.
- The TOMATIS Method can have a positive impact on the human nervous system and act positively on numerous cognitive blockages and modes of behaviour.
- The vestibular and cochlear integrators of the ear are two of the most important systems of sensorial integration for the human being, and their correct functioning is indispensable for the development of human potential.